Week 6: Pre-trip Report

Janet Gnall
Garrison Elementary
Dover, NH

So, what is the draw to Mt Washington? Is it because of the varied trails to hike and possibly stay over in one of the many AMC huts? Is it the challenge of a run, cycle, ski or snowshoe in a race to the top of the 6 thousand-footer?  Or how about taking the scenic view by cog railway or driving the auto road? Whatever brings you to the top of this accessible-to-all majestic north eastern height, the weather will certainly be a topic of conversation regarding your experience. As we, fellow educators prepare for our Arctic Weds experience, I can't help but be brought to my 12-year-old self who remembers hiking Mt Washington for the first time and staying overnight at the Lakes of the Clouds AMC hut. It was summertime and I remember being stunned and enthralled by the everchanging weather. When I woke from my first sleep in the bunkhouse there was snow… inside the room. It was a sprinkle of flakes but to my younger self I was thrilled thinking that in the NH summer I would see and experience snow. It was, and still is, puzzling and intriguing that this space in the clouds could have such a change in temperature, sun, clouds, warmth and wind in a matter of moments. As time and age passed my curiosity has evolved into how come? What causes this rapid change of weather on this mountain in NH? Why does this mountain experience record breaking wind speeds? As I look forward to our Arctic Weds experience I can't help but combine my youth curiosity and my adult need to find answers for understanding the weather on Mt Washington and its everchanging history in the clouds.


Comments

Popular Posts