Week 5: Post-trip (New Hampshire Edition)

Melinda Fifield
Canaan Elementary
Canaan, NH

Melinda Fifield- Post-Trip Blog

I am sitting at home next to my dog (shout out to Brady) as I type this… which means I did not freeze to death at the summit, as initially feared.  The gear list was perfect, if you are worried like I was, just follow the list and you will be fine! One piece of advice… don’t accidentally breathe into your goggles! The moisture freezes immediately and then you can’t see a thing! Oops.

In my post-trip reflections, I have been pondering what I learned while at the summit, what did my students learn while I was at the summit, and was it worth doing sub plans. (You know what I am talking about)  The answer to the last part is a resounding YES. It was absolutely worth it.  I think that even though I live in NH, and in theory can drive to Mount Washington at any time, this experience was once-in-a-lifetime. That is how big of an experience it was.  Maybe I could have the chance to do it again (hint, hint), but would I have the chance to play in 87- mph winds again? Maybe, maybe not. 

As part of my curriculum, I teach weather and weather instruments. I am not a meteorologist, so I only use anemometers, etc., when I am teaching this particular unit. My students’ understanding is limited to my own understanding. After seeing how the weather is measured in the weather center, and outside in with rime ice coating pitot tubes, people climbing ladders in hurricane force winds, and with wind chills of at least -50 degrees (as was the case when I was there), I feel like I am now able to really dig in to the deeper understanding questions of why and how… not just what and where.

My students were able to learn about weather at the top through the live video conference. We were able to connect both my class and Joan Newkirk’s (my partner teacher) class at the same time, which was really cool. Ian and Tom explained a little about Mount Washington and its weather, showed a really funny video of Marty (and then showed it again at the request of the kids), then they answered kid-questions. Most of the questions my class asked related to the animals of Mount Washington (the third graders think that Marty is the coolest cat around).

I thought about if I should be worried that they seemed to have missed the big picture about weather. I came to the decision that one of my goals for the trip was that my students gained an appreciation for Mount Washington, and I think we met that goal. They made a lasting connection through the animals who call the mountain home either all of the time or some of the time. Thank you to Marty, flying squirrels, and black bears. The kids also learned a little about local geography, and they now know that Mount Washington has amazing weather.

One final thing that I hope they learned was to keep going if you are a little scared. Before the trip, they knew that I was a little nervous about going, even though I was also excited. They knew that I was afraid that I would get very cold. They now know that despite my fears I went anyways. I hate heights and I most assuredly hate ladders. But there I was on the top of the tallest mountain around us, and even climbed ladders without having to have been coaxed down! (I may or may not have been comparing myself to a spider monkey to get myself up and down the ladders). 

This was the most incredible experience I have ever had. If you are reading this and are wondering if you should apply for a spot next year… DO IT!!!


Comments

Popular Posts