Arctic Wednesdays 2024: Week 5 Blog

 Holly Munce, Berlin NH

Post-Trip Blog

3/6/24



As a teacher, every day brings new lessons and challenges, both in and out of the classroom.  But, for educators seeking a break from the routine, venturing into the great outdoors can offer a refreshing change of pace.  For me, that break came in the form of a day trip to Mount Washington in early March.  Little did I know, this journey would not only rejuvenate my spirit but also provide valuable insights that I would bring back to my students.  

Venturing up the highest mountain east of the Mississippi River as well as home to the world's most erratic weather was daunting yet thrilling. And more importantly, it’s essentially in my backyard.  To be able to connect this in my classroom and make it relevant to students who travel past the Auto Road and Great Glen Wilderness often, while noting on top of the mountain are scientists recording and sending data to other scientists all over the world, is truly captivating.

Setting out at 9 am, in uncharacteristic 40 degree weather, we ascended the mountain.  The landscape was transforming before our eyes.  As we transferred from van to snowcat, we continued to gain altitude, the weather was clear and beautiful.  We stopped at Cragway Drift for photos and to enjoy the panoramic views.  

As we slowly made our way further up the 7.1 mile road, we encountered a water bar, helping to divert runoff into vegetated areas to reduce erosion and runoff.  The forward and backward motion as we plowed away the slush was exciting yet not as heart-skipping as the “twirl” the snowcat performed, turning us completely around, as the driver worked to clear the water bar going both uphill and downhill.  Our vehicle's back end hung over the roadside as we transitioned directions…John is truly a skilled and experienced driver.  

After about an hour and half we arrived at the summit!  We were greeted by a balmy 38 degrees and 1/16 of a mile visibility.  Despite standing in a moisture filled cloud, the beauty of our surroundings filled us with a sense of wonder.  My MWOBS guide, Amy, took me for a tour of the inside of the Sherman Adams building, housing the observer’s laboratory and living quarters.  We explored the weather wall and I got a private lesson on Mount Washington being the “tailpipe” of the USA due to it lying at the intersection of the nation’s active storm tracks and lower mountains channeling the prevailing northwest winds from Canada. 


Amy gave me the summit tour and I got to see the tools and locations where MWOBS observers gather data to share out in weather reports.  I climbed the parapet, the largest man-made in the northeast, as well as standing on the notorious “X” in view of the livestream camera for my students to get a glimpse of me inside a cloud!


As the day drew to a close, we reluctantly made our way to the snowcat for our descent.  Traveling about 8 mph, we said farewell to the fog and enjoyed the picturesque ride down.   Reflecting on my journey, I realize the correlation between my experience on the mountain and the challenges I face as an educator.  We, too, navigate unforeseen circumstances, needing to find creative solutions to complex problems.  Like the ever changing weather on the mountain, our classrooms are dynamic environments requiring flexibility and resiliency.   

My day on Mount Washington was a profound learning experience and has left an impression on my teaching philosophy.  Returning to my classroom, I hope to develop a curiosity in my learners and harness their excitement about asking and answering questions while having the unique opportunity to have learning sessions from some amazingly talented MWOBS staff and we will even take a field trip to the home of the world's worst weather.      

Thank you for an amazing adventure!



Comments

Popular Posts