Week 5: Post-trip Report (Maine Edition)

Joan Newkirk
Fisher Mitchell School
Bath, ME

Ms. Newkirk’s Ultimate Adventure!


     The day was fast approaching for the March trip up the Mountain. What was a great idea when I signed on last summer now seemed a little crazy. I began to second guess my apparel. I went through my pile of clothing once again. I had borrowed a behemoth of a jacket which enveloped me like a mummy.  The downside is that it had so much insulation that when I wore the hood I could not hear anything. I decided to sacrifice hearing for warmth. I found the snow pants, an array of socks, Muck boots, mittens, glove liners, five types of hats/face masks…. Then, I stepped out into the night, on my front deck, in 20 degree weather, and began to sweat. Despite the fact I could barely shuffle, I was quite confident this outfit would be warm.
     A few days later, when I arrived at the base of the park road, the winds were gusting and the temperature was about 9 degrees. The mountain was beautiful, though ominously wrapped in clouds and snow. At this point, I was very excited and a little apprehensive to head into what seemed like another world.
     So, I met the Snow Cat and climbed in, along with several other passengers. I checked out the driver and reassured myself that he looked like he knew what he was doing. The Snow Cat ride was awesome!   The trip up was a transition into another world. Eventually, we made a turn and entered the part of the road that is only accessible to those lucky enough to catch a ride on the Snow Cat. I was so fortunate! As we left the deciduous forest behind, the landscape changed dramatically. Crazy-shaped krummholz trees stuck out of the windblown snow. The sun broke through in spots, its light dancing on the snow. Whimsical rime ice formations were everywhere, creating an other-worldly and eerily beautiful landscape.


     And of course, the omni-present wind! During the tour we had a couple of chances to experience hurricane force winds, which were both breath-taking and invigorating. I will always remember my few moments on the wind-whipped tower, truly a once-in- a-lifetime experience!
    The tour of the weather station was amazing. One of my biggest takeaways is that the staff still uses analog instruments, in part to keep consistent data. Antique instruments such as the snow collector were fascinating. Also, the amount of tasks and the coordination of the work by staff members is daunting and admirable.



   While on the tour my teacher partner and I were able to connect with our classes. They were excited and gained a better appreciation of what the station is all about. I really enjoyed sharing this experience with another third grade teacher. Mel and I hope to keep up the connection between our classes.
     Although experiencing the summit is the ultimate adventure, it would not be possible without the caring, professional, and incredibly smart people who work up there. I had imagined that it would take a special person to do this work and that proved true. I want to thank all the staff who made us feel safe and comfortable, and the volunteers who fed us. It is truly a pleasure to meet all of you and to feel your passion for The Mountain. On clear days, I am fortunate to be able to catch a glimpse of Mount Washington from a trail near my house in Bath, Maine. As I look out across the 100 miles to the peak in the distance, I will now be reminded of my ultimate Mt. Washington adventure and will think of all the people who are hard at work up there. Thank you all so very much.











Comments

Popular Posts