Week 5: Post Trip Report

Post Trip to the Summit
Heidi Belle-Isle

After watching the weather closely for weeks before our scheduled trip to the summit, we were somewhat disappointed to have our trip delayed due to harsh conditions expected during our travels.  After several emails between the Observatory staff and our bus coordinator, we were rescheduled for Friday, March 10.  We needed to make sure we had a day that would not only work for our trip to the summit, but also for my sixth grade students to visit the Weather Discovery Center.  I was impressed with how flexible the staff was in helping make this trip memorable not just for Scott and I, but also for my students.

After getting our safety briefing at the base we climbed into the snowcat along with our fellow passengers.  I was quick to claim a window seat to help alleviate motion sickness and of course to get the best position to take pictures to share with my students upon my return.   The first order of business was of course the first of many selfies to document our expedition!  I was blessed to get to share this experience with a not only a fellow teacher, but a great friend who was willing to put up with my need to document every crazy moment of the day!




Our first stop was at approximately 4,500 feet.  Although it was overcast, the view was spectacular.  We snapped some photos and got to work gathering weather data with our Kestrel Environmental Meter.  The temperature wasn’t too bad, a mere 17°F and as hard as we tried to get some impressive wind speeds, the highest we could muster was 3.5MPH. 


As we continued our trip towards the summit, Observatory President Sharon Shilling and Membership & Database Coordinator Stephanie Turnbull treated us to tales of the mountain.  We learned about the glacial history of the area and how Squiggly Rock was formed. 


We gathered yet another set of weather data at approximately 5,000 feet (the site of Squiggly Rock) and were surprised at what an additional 1,000 feet in elevation does to the temperature.  We were now at a chilly 9°F with a maximum wind gust of 6.8 MPH.  This would be the last time that we would actually use paper and pencil to record our data, our poor fingers were getting too cold.  I had to trust that I could store the data on the Kestrel and remember how to download it later!


As we neared the summit the excitement in the snowcat was evident – we were actually going to make it to the top! As dwarf trees dwindled, rime covered rocks and hiking Cairns were dotting the foggy landscape.





When we reached the summit we clamored inside for a quick use of their facilities and then headed back outside to explore.  Although the visibility was reported at only 1/16th of a mile, it was still a gorgeous 360° view.  As much as we hated to disturb the rime ice, we had to clear off the summit sign to prove that we made it!



I quickly pulled out the Kestrel and stored the data for later investigation; we were experiencing a relatively mild day on top of The Rock Pile with a temperature of 5.9° F and a wind speed of only 4.6MPH resulting in a wind chill of a brisk (but not terrible) -6.5°F. 

Following Sharon’s suggestion, I tried snacking on a piece of rime ice.  It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!  At first taste, the outer layer melts in your mouth like snow, but then the inner layer kind of hardens up and feels almost like a rubber ball in your mouth!  I wasn’t sure if I should keep eating or spit it out, but I didn’t want to disappoint my students so I went for it and lived to tell the tale!


When the extremely gracious and friendly volunteers had finished preparing our lunch we headed inside for a tour of the living quarters and a relaxing feast that teachers never have the chance to enjoy during the workweek! We were treated to ham, twice baked potatoes, multigrain bread, broccoli and a slew of desserts!  The cooks explained that their experience cooking on the summit was something like the show “Chopped” where the chefs are expected to cook a meal with the challenge of not knowing what is in the cupboards and refrigerator!  We all ate heartily and gave the cooks two thumbs up!

A tour of the weather station was on the agenda after lunch.  As soon as we walked in I could hear the familiar voices of my students who were filing into the theater at the Discover Center.  They had no idea that they were on camera; I enjoyed listening to their enthusiasm and was anxious for their connection with the summit to begin. 


After weather observers Mike Carmon and Adam Gill showed our group all of the weather instruments and explained what happens in the observatory (and a quick hello to Marty who wasn’t overly impressed that we were there!), we were ready to connect with my students.  After I gave a quick “hello” and a brief description of my ride up the mountain, Mike took over the presentation.  I snuck out of the room to join my group on top of the tower.



When I made my way back inside I was surprised to see that Mike still had my students totally engaged and that he was very patiently answering their questions and filling their brains with awe and knowledge that only an experience like this could give them.  After 45 minutes (wow!) I said goodbye to my students and they were set free in the Discovery Center to explore the exhibits and continue learning about extreme weather.  I was SO VERY thankful for the amount of time that Mike spent talking to my students.  It was obvious how much they had learned as they answered my questions and made comments during my slideshow of photos when I returned to school! 

Once the connection with my students was over, it was evident that the drivers wanted to get on the road quickly.  Snow was starting to fall and we were quickly losing visibility.  We made one quick stop on the way down to let a snow coach pass us, and to get one last moment in the serenity of this peaceful environment.

Comments

Popular Posts