Arctic Wednesdays 2024: Week 2 Pre-Trip Blog

 Michelle Jenkinson

3rd Grade Teacher

Holderness Central School

Holderness, New Hampshire 



                   


My 3rd graders and I are beyond excited about my adventure atop Mt. Washington.  I am eager to summit the mountain and spend a day learning all about the science behind weather from the Mt. Washington Weather Observatory team.  They have many years of experience and expertise to share with me. I look forward to meeting everyone.  


My class was visited by Jackie Bellefontaine, a Mt. Washington Observatory educator, on January 5th.  Jackie shared the history of the Mount Washington Weather Observatory and introduced my class to some of the most extreme weather in the world atop our state’s very own mountain. Jackie led an outdoor investigation of weather using anemometers to measure wind speed and a sling psychrometer used to measure ambient air temperature. My third graders felt like real meteorologists as they collected weather data using these tools. Jackie’s educational program created a bridge between our study of weather and climate  in class and my future trip to the observatory. Thank you Jackie! 


As  Jackie shared some of the most extreme weather conditions recorded at the summit of Mt. Washington, my thoughtful students shared their concerns about me being properly dressed for the cold and asked that I be cautious of the high winds. They are most excited to visit with me via zoom on the day of my trip.  They collaboratively put together some inquisitive questions for me to ask the weather observers. They are of course hoping to see a glimpse of Nimbus during my zoom.  Fingers crossed that Nimbus cooperates and is willing to make an appearance. 


I look forward to making the trek to the top of Mt. Washington with Beth Bukala from Parker Elementary School. It is sure to be a day full of adventure and learning.  This is sure to be a memorable experience for both myself and my students. 


Comments

Popular Posts