Arctic Wednesdays 2020: Week 2 Pre-trip Report

Christine Nigzus
Richardson Middle School
Dracut, MA

As I prepare to embark on the adventure of a lifetime tomorrow, I can’t help but feel both excited and nervous! Over the course of the past couple of weeks, my 6th graders and I have been checking the weather conditions on the summit daily. They have been asking wonderful, meaningful questions about the weather. They are fascinated by the formation and design of snowflakes, and we have related those conversations back to our conversations about fractals at the beginning of the winter season.


Both of my classes, checking the live weather conditions at the summit!

I am excited for the breathtaking views, the knowledge I will acquire, and the experience that I will get to share with my students. During one of our class periods, we took the time to watch some amazing videos taken at the summit. We were able to see how they measure snowfall, catch and analyze snowflakes, and even see how powerful the wind can be. After watching the videos, my class developed questions to send to the observers, for them to answer when we video call.

I love everything about being in North Conway, the White Mountains, all of it. I love the views while skiing, hiking, and poking around downtown. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to visit the summit of Mount Washington. This is truly an opportunity I am so thankful to have learned about! I frequently visit the weather museum in downtown North Conway, and am excited to expand my knowledge and experience. Tomorrow’s forecast is looking very promising, with clear skies and a high of 20 degrees. Hopefully the weather stays as predicted!

Comments

Popular Posts